Re: Ports like system for debian.

On 5/26/10, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Madhurya Kakati put forth on 5/26/2010 10:15 PM:
>> Is there a bsd ports like system in debian?
>
> I believe you're looking for the Gentoo Portage system:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
>
> AFAIK, there is no Debian equivalent, nor any other Linux distro, that
> manages
> and builds packages from source, in the manner of BSD ports or Gentoo
> Portage.
>
> --
> Stan

If you're talking about source based dostros like gentoo, there are
others which are pretty good as well...  Examples:

sourceMage  (I like this one a lot)
sorcerer (never tried it, but it's the original sorcery stuff)
Lunar (as sourceMage forked from sorcerer)

There might be others based on linux from scratch as well...  So
gentoo is not the only option around, although perhpas the mos known
among the source based distros...  Bad thing about source based
distros for me is that I have pretty slow old boxes, and when
compiling lets say gcc, g++, gcj, and the like, well, it just takes
forever...

One binary distro that comes closer to freeBSD ports concept is
archLinux, it has in its binary repos a "core", an "extra", and
"community" provided binaries.  But if you don't find what you need
there's also AUR, which is a repo with pacman PKGBUILDs available and
with yaourt for example you can install them almost the same way you
install binaries, but what happens beneath is that the sources are
downloaded, the package is built, and then finally installed...

So not debian, but closer to the freeBSD approach.  Another thing
similar to freeBSD is the init scripts stuff, controlled by rc.conf...

Bad thing is that it's not debian, :-)  Also bad thing is that it only
supports i686 and x86_64, plus an early port to ARM (non official
project), and another port to hurd (that just started, non official as
well)...  Did I say bad thing it's not debian already, :-)

--
Javier.