Re: Re (5): xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video

On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:30:13 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I have no experience with messing with .xinitrc:
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/lxde-error-808065/
>
> There was no ~/.xinitrc and I created one containing
> this text.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # ~/.xinitrc
> # Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
> #exec openbox
> #exec ck-launch-session startlxde
>
> If either of the exec lines is activated and startx
> is issued, the screen goes black with individual
> scan lines flashing randomly.  Also the notice about
> the refresh rate, quoted above, appears and remains.
>
> So I wonder whether the problem is simply a fault
> with the default scan rate.  Any recommendations for
> specifying the scan rate in xorg.conf?

The key phrase here is "appears and remains".  That means
that the X server stayed running.  Not well, but running.
Believe it or not, we're making progress.  OK, now back to
first principles.  When you installed Debian, did you select
"Desktop Environment" from the tasksel menu?  How did you
install Debian?  Did you boot from a CD?  If so, many of the
boot CDs are customized for a particular desktop environment,
such as GNOME, KDE, or XFCE.  Which boot CD did you use?
Or did you initially select only "standard system" from the
tasksel menu and then manually tried to install the X server
and get it working?  If so, what packages did you install?
What window manager do you intend to use?  Is it installed?
You may have answered some of these questions before, but I
don't remember.

And please forgive me for asking again, but will you please
once again identify your monitor by manufacturer and model
number.  If you have the date of manufacture handy, please
provide that too.  It's usually posted on the monitor somewhere.
Older monitors (circa 1993 and earlier)
don't provide support for DDC2/EDID and must be manually
configured.  I assume that you're using a standard 15-pin
analog VGA connector on the back of your computer and a standard
analog monitor.  If not, please provide the specifics.
Also, please post the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that you used
and the resulting /var/log/Xorg.0.log file that resulted when
the server stayed running.

P.S. Please remember to copy the list.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell