Re (5): xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video

From:	Stephen Powell <zlinuxm..@wowway.c..>
Date:	Fri, 21 May 2010 11:21:16 -0400 (EDT)
>    append="acpi=off"
> in your /etc/lilo.conf file.

X still exits with these lines.
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server

waiting for X server to shut down.

This message from the monitor itself appears briefly
on the screen.
"This monitor is operating at a lower refresh rate
than recommended.  Refer to your system or graphics
card manual for info. on how to change this setting."

From:	Stephen Powell <zlinuxm..@wowway.c..>
Date:	Fri, 21 May 2010 14:06:52 -0400 (EDT)
> I have no experience with messing with .xinitrc:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/lxde-error-808065/

There was no ~/.xinitrc and I created one containing
this text.
#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
#exec openbox
#exec ck-launch-session startlxde

If either of the exec lines is activated and startx
is issued, the screen goes black with individual
scan lines flashing randomly.  Also the notice about
the refresh rate, quoted above, appears and remains.

So I wonder whether the problem is simply a fault
with the default scan rate.  Any recommendations for
specifying the scan rate in xorg.conf?

Thanks,              ... Peter E.

--
Carnot is waiting for a disk replacement; Web pages may not work.
Google "pathology workshop".