Re: Strange printing effect

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:16:29 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:

> On 26/05/10 12:08:23, Camaleón wrote:

>> (...)
>>
>> Make a quick test: create a new printer using CUPS interface (select a
>> PS driver) and try to print the same page with the newly created
>> printer to see if it happens the same. --
>> Camaleón
>
> I created a new CUPS printer using the Generic Postscript driver and it
> does not appear to produce the problem. Printing a test page from the
> CUPS maintenance screen it prints perfectly but in monochrome only.
>
> Printing a spreadsheet using this printer doesn't produce the problem
> either but I did select 'Postscript 2' and 'Colour' rather than 'from
> driver' and it did print colour.
>
> It does look like the HPLIP driver is causing the problem.

I avoid using HPLIP for our HP laserjet b/w and colour printers. We have
4050, 4100, 42100 and 4600  printers in the office.

Printers like these ones, which have a very good support for PostScript,
have been working without glitches for years using just CUPS and PPD
files. PostScript driver can be slow with some works but delivers the
best printing quaility.

Sure, there is no fancy monitor status displaying the toner levels but
you can always check that in the embedded webserver of the printer or by
printing a status page :-)

I would only use HPLIP for multi-function devices for cartridge cleaning,
printer calibration, fax facilities and so on... but laser printers do
not need all that stuff at all :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón