Re: Mail errors or attacks?

On 25/05/2010 16:58, David Baron wrote:
On Monday 24 May 2010 22:57:12 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
I get a zillion of these, every single day, about every 5 minutes or so:

2010-05-24 15:05:38 SMTP call from localhost (dovidhalevi) [127.0.0.1]
dropped: too many syntax or protocol errors (last command was "MAIL
FROM:<jameswellington000.org@[71.121.223.194]>  SIZE=8814")

         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am running exim4 heavy on a Sid box.

Exim shows no stuck messages or such. How can I stop this?

It is a spamer...

It it is always the same IP, add it to the backlist

How do I do this obvious task? In exim? I have fail2ban as well but this is
not catching this one.

Hello,

You could try this as root :

# cd /etc/exim4

# touch local_host_blacklist

# touch local_host_whitelist

# touch local_sender_blacklist

# touch local_sender_whitelist

# chown root:Debian-exim local_*

# chmod 640 local_*

I've created these files on my Debian Lenny box and they work very well. For the 'local_host_blacklist' file I add entries such as :

*.spammer.host
xxx.xxx.xxx.x/24
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

For the 'local_sender_blacklist' I add entries such as :

*@spammer.example
*@spamoverload.invalid
!crisisofconscience@spamoverload.invalid

In the above example the last entry would be an exception and would not be blocked. Alternatively I could add that entry to 'local_sender_whitelist' for the same effect.

Also check out this web page for some really in-depth examples of spam filtering with Exim :

http://www.sput.nl/software/exim.html

When trying out new filters you can use 'warn' instead of 'deny' which will just add a header to the email message rather than reject it at SMTP time. The header inserted is the contents of the 'message' line :

warn
  message = X-Spam-Header1: This mail failed on spam test 1.

.. rest of acl ...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete.