Re: Re (2): lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Tuesday 25 May 2010 10:42:34 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:29:54 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> > Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> (3) The need for special backup requirements will be
> >> used by the opponents of Linux at my place of employment
> >> to oppose further deployments of Linux, ...
> >
> > What about the carrot approach?  Find an even better
> > backup method, compatible with Grub 2 and appealing
> > to your management for its efficiency.
>
> You're missing the point.  The main selling point to management
> is that Linux is free.

No software is entirely without cost.  Free Software is no exception.  There
are usually no up-front licening fees, sure.  However, volunteers work on
whatever they like, and if no one volunteers to maintain and support your
software you may have to pay for that.

Even with volunteers providing maintenance and support, your specific
requirements may differ from their goals and that will require effort to
resolve.

> If they have to buy new backup software
> in order to accommodate Linux' backup requirements, that will
> kill it on the spot.  Whatever boot loader I use must not
> require new backup software or impose special backup requirements.
> And its not just money.  As a rule, people like what they know.

If money is the issue, move to a free backup solution.  Amanda and Zmanda both
support backing up a number of OSes, including Linux and Windows and are free
software, last I checked.

You've already proven free solutions in your own servers.  Moving to a free
solution for backups is a next logical step.

Also, volunteers are rarely concerned with "market share", losing your
management as users is not necessarily a concern to them.  If it is a concern
for you, you may have to put forward some additional effort to address your
management's issues.