PART DIAGNOSED: Re: Trying to install Google Earth on Lenny. How on earth??????

On Monday 24 May 2010 17:59:46 Lisi wrote:
> On Monday 24 May 2010 17:31:50 Stephen Powell wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:03:41 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:
> > > How I fared:
> > >
> > > I could only persuade Yahoo maps to offer to get me from A to B, not
> > > show me pictures of A.
> > >
> > > Mapquest zoomed in on it beautifully, but had no pictures.  Two
> > > different "maps", and I could turn the labels off under the aerial
> > > view, but no pictures.  I presume that they photographed the USA first.
> > >
> > > But thanks for the lateral thinking, Stephen.  It might have worked!!
> > >
> > > I shall have to give up for the moment.
> >
> > Let's see.  IIRC you live in the UK, correct?  I had no trouble zooming
> > in on London with aerial photos.  You did click on aerial map, right? I
> > just tried Google maps at Brad's suggestion.  It's even better. Try
> > again.  I got this shot of Buckingham Palace:
> >
> > http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Buckingham+Pa
> >la
> > ce,+London,+United+Kingdom&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.310476,114.1699
> >22&
> > ie=UTF8&hq=Buckingham+Palace&hnear=Buckingham+Palace,+London,+UK&ll=51.50
> >073 2,-0.141862&spn=0.002384,0.006968&t=h&z=18
> >
> > Say hello to Her Majesty for me the next time you stop in for tea, will
> > you?  ;-)
> >
> :-)
>
> There is obviously a problem with either me or my box or both.  I am
> running out of time to solve this particular problem, but I clearly need to
> solve the general problem. :-(

It is, at least in part, due to a problem on my box.  I had been installing
Fedora on another box and when it finished I tried Google maps - and bingo!
So it is neither me nor my router, but my box.  I clearly have to solve this,
but not tonight.

Oh - and your URL opened perfectly on my box, Stephen.  I just couldn't get it
to show me anywhere else.

Thanks all for your help.

Lisi