Re: grub savedefault?

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:56:13 -0700
"Todd A. Jacobs" <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:

> When one has multiple kernels installed, where is one supposed to
> configure the option to always boot the last-selected kernel? I can't
> make sense of all the automatic over-writing that the grub scripts are
> doing on Debian, and the /etc/default/grub file doesn't have an example
> of what the scripts are looking for.
>
> I just want to be able to select a kernel at boot, and have that be the
> default until a new kernel is installed or I manually select something
> else.

What seems to work for me (and I agree, it's pretty confusing,
especially when you add 'man grub-set-default' to the mix) is to
include these three lines in menu.lst:

default	saved
# updatedefaultentry=true
# savedefault=true

I'm not quite certain which are necessary, but as I've said, this seems
to give me the behavior that I (and, IIUC, you) want.

Celejar