Re: X freezes with 2.6.32-5; okay with 2.6.26-2

On 2010-05-13 08:42:09 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> I've got an older 600MHz PIII running Sid; if I boot into the
> installed 2.6.26-2-68 kernel, everything's fine, but if I boot into
> the installed 2.6.32-5-68 kernel, everything's fine until X is
> started (either manually or with a session manager or even when

Hi, I don't know if this will fix your problem or not. But when
somebody says "my system worked fine with 2.6.26, now it won't work
with 2.6.32" there is one alarm bell that goes off in my head.

Sometime between 2.6.26 and 2.6.30 the Debian team removed proprietary
firmware blobs from the kernel. Several of these blobs are related
to ATI video drivers, including one for r128.

I had a similar issue to you when I moved from 2.6.26 to 2.6.30. I
don't think X stopped working for me, but performance went way
down. While troubleshooting the problem (for a long time), I found a
mention in the README.Debian that said this important firmware had
been removed. I think it was removed at 2.6.29

Do "aptitude show firmware-linux-nonfree" to see what I mean.

  * Rage 128 CCE microcode (r128/r128_cce.bin)

I installed the firmware on my systems, but I'm not convinced it worked,
because my video performance doesn't seem as good as it was before.

Make sure to read the READMEs for your video card driver. I think it
will be in /usr/share/doc/r128.

Hope this helps,

Phil