Brightness OSD in Squeeze

Hi,

I am running up-to-date squeeze on a Dell Latitude D420. I have a
trivial problem, but such things bother me :-)

The hotkeys for volume and brightness adjustment work out of the box in a
GNOME session. However, when I adjust the volume using the hotkeys, I see
a nice translucent on-screen display of the volume level. This is not
the case for brightness control.

Interestingly, I briefly installed KDE a couple of days ago. I then
found that, *during a GNOME session*, the brightness OSD did appear. It
vanished again after I removed KDE.

So, the KDE installation seemed to pull in some package which is
responsible for the brightness OSD. Any idea which of the dozens of
packages it might be?

Liam

--
Liam O'Toole