Console: Laptop vs backlight-off problem

Howdy, I have a Debian Lenny system in console-only mode (no X, etc) running on a Toshiba Tecra S1.

I'd like the LCD backlight to turn off after a period of inactivity but can't seem to make it happen.

I've tried via setterm (e.g. 'setterm -blank 1 -powersave powerdown -powerdown 2') and the screen-blanking time is properly adjusted but the backlight never turns off. (I've tried changing it to include '-powersave <all_available_options>' with no successes either, as well as invoking the commands one-at-a-time instead of as a single large command line.)

Manually using vbetool ('vbetool dpms off/on') does properly turn off/on the backlight so the underlying hardware & DPMS support seems in place, but obviously I'd like it to happen automagically.

Am I missing something obvious or is there a silver bullet that I need?

TIA for any assistance, and for Debian!