Re: Moving a drive to another computer

On May 19 2010 12:46 -0400, from vev@michvhf.com (Vince Vielhaber):
> What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
> the drive in her computer?  I'm assuming the network setup will be one
> problem.

If you use a generic kernel binary and install most variations of
hardware-specific packages (thinking xserver-xorg-video-*, for
example), my experience is that the issues should be minimal. The
default Debian installation does this.

> My background is mainly in FreeBSD.  If a drive is set up as being
> /dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
> the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error.  Will that be
> an issue with Debian?

You can use UUIDs instead of physical devices, and the kernel will
find the partition in question regardless of where it is physically
hooked up. The main downside is that UUIDs are rather opaque, but
unless your friend is planning on having a lot of drives in her PC or
mess around with /etc/fstab and the boot loader configuration, this
should be a non-issue. If it is, look up "labels" - they work largely
the same but are human-assigned and human-readable.

As far as I have gathered, whenever Linux expects a physical device
node such as /dev/hda2 or /dev/sdb1, you can instead pass a string on
the format "UUID=<long-hexstring-with-dashes>". So an example fstab
entry might look like this:

UUID=1e7c6b1a-5c25-4efa-866c-9a6a086b0292  /  ext3  errors=remount-ro  0  1

In the boot loader configuration, you'd pass the same kind of string
to the kernel through the "root" parameter, like so:

kernel /kernel-binary root=UUID=1e7c6b1a-5c... ro ...

The contents of /dev/disk/by-uuid & Co will be very helpful.

--
Michael Kjörling .. michael@kjorling.se .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *