Re: ~/.xsession-errors file grows way too big

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 06:45:04PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-05-19 18:18 +0200, T o n g wrote:
>
> > I am astonished to find out that my ~/.xsession-errors grows to a
> > humongous 640M! My wife's is nearly 400M as well. This is way way too
> > big.
> >
> > I took a look, the reason and cure is very simple -- having X to trunk it
> > each time when started
> > (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876)
> > whereas currently, my ~/.xsession-errors kept logs back to stone age.
> >
> > However, such reasonable request has been tabled for 6 years now. The DD
> > gave loads of irrelevant reasons as excuse of not fixing it. Ref:
> >
> > Any comment?
>
> You may want to follow up on these bugs, since the _current_ X
> developers in Debian never spoke up.  And I think that there is so much
> crapware that puts out useless junk on stderr or stdout (the worst
> offender is KDE4 software, until you find out that is possible to put an
> end to this by running kdebugdialog) that the battle to make
> ~/.xsession-errors useful has long been lost.

FWIW, I don't have that problem, although /etc/X11/Xsession says:

exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1 (despite the solution proposed in¹)
echo "$PROGNAME: X session started for $LOGNAME at $(date)"

and the contents of it are, unsurprisingly:

"Xsession: X session started for dawud at mié may 19 18:25:05 CEST
2010"

$ ll .xsession-errors
-rw------- 1 dawud dawud 72 may 19 18:25 .xsession-errors

This is a Lenny box, BTW.
What are the perms for that file? maybe (wild guess) it lacks w?

Regards.

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287876

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B  D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB