Re: How to keep debian current??

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 20:45:36 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are 2 different topics.
>
>  * Which is better shape "testing" or "unstable" for security issues?
>    (original question)

My gut, based on both the discussions in the thread and sources on the
debian.org site, tells me that Sid is slightly better, for now.

When the security team has the resources to pay attention to testing (perhaps
during the freeze?), they are about on par with each other.

Stable+security is, of course, the best but the versions of the software
available there may not be sufficient for your needs.  Using backports doesn't
help here -- security updates to backports are done is roughly the same way
security updates to Sid are.

>  * What dees security team do and ensures?

The security team is responsible for preparing new package versions for stable
and oldstable, since it is rarely appropriate for security upgrades to be
delayed until the next point release.  They follow Debian policy on this and
no not package new upstream versions, but instead cherry-pick and backport the
patches required to fix the issue.

Some upstream projects make this difficult, and in rare cases those packages
will be "abandoned" by the security team.  AFAIK, there's no list of these
packages available, you have to monitor the security-announce mailing list to
be notified.

In addition, the security team is responsible for preparing the Debian
Security Advisories (DSAs) that are sent to the security-announce list when a
security vulnerability is identified and fixed.  Besides providing on-time
notification of fixes, this also ties the vulnerability to CVE numbers so
persons or organizations that track issues there can easily determine the
status of that vulnerability in Debian.

Finally, when the security team has enough manpower, they provide security
updates to testing, usually by accelerating the migration of a package version
from Sid.

Any DD can perform a NMU to a package in Sid that has an open security issue.
Members of the security team sometimes to this for packages in Sid, but it is
usually left up to the maintainer.