Re: pinning + apt-get vs aptitude

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-05-15 17:32 +0200, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

(on Sid) I pinned grub-legacy, to avoid going to grub2.

Then when I do 'apt-get dist-upgrade' I see:

  grub

and

... grub-legacy ...

but when I do 'aptitude full-upgrade' I see:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
... grub-legacy{a} ...

You should run "aptitude unmarkauto grub-legacy" and remove the
transitional grub package.  Unfortunately the case where a transitional
package A pulls in another package B is not handled well by the package
managers, I always end up "aptitude unmarkauto B; aptitude markauto A"
to tell apt that I want to keep the new package and that it can remove
the transitional one as soon as nothing depends on it anymore.

... grub-pc{a} ...

So why does aptitude pay no attention to my pin?

Because it decides that the grub-legacy package is unused and can be
removed despite the pin.  Whether this is the right thing is debatable;
I'm sure you find some bug reports about that if you dig into the long
list of aptitude bugs.

That explains it well, thanks

Hugo