hald start problem

Hello,

On my Debian system hald fails to start randomly. Logs do not show any errors.

When I restart it and it does start, the output looks like this:

root@LAPTOP:~# /etc/init.d/hal restart
Restarting Hardware abstraction layer: hald.
root@LAPTOP:~#

When I restart it and it does NOT start, the output looks like this:

root@LAPTOP:~# /etc/init.d/hal restart
Restarting Hardware abstraction layer: haldroot@LAPTOP:~#

As you can see in the latter case some expected output (".\n") is missing. Also, the return code is 1 instead of 0 which clearly indicates a failure.

I tried the same quite a few times and it's completely random. What could be the problem?

Rytis