Re: Accelerating directory's content's viewing: how, is directory is huge?

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 13:16:27 Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have many media files in some specific directory (folder, call it as
> you want). Loading the folder takes ~30 sec., even if I am using quite
> fast HDDs, etc. They're all on the same partition. I have disabled
> previewing, or thumbnails.
>
> How can I do to make this process faster?

Slow to ls?  reiserfs, xfs, btrfs, or the dir_index option and hash_alg
extended option of ext3.

Is the directory fast to ls, but slow to render in a GUI?  Problem is likely
with the GUI.

How many files?  It may be better to convert to a "stepped" directory
structure.

E.g.:
Instead of:
/home/abel
/home/alfred
/home/ada
[...]
/home/zelda
/home/zola
/home/zoolander

Use:
/home/a/abel
/home/a/alfred
/home/a/ada
[...]
/home/z/zelda
/home/z/zola
/home/z/zoolander
Or: (usually only when names are fixed-length)
/home/a/bel
/home/a/lfred
/home/a/da
[...]
/home/z/elda
/home/z/ola
/home/z/oolander

I'm most familiar with using this for ASCII names, but it can be converted to
work with other names.  Japanese can use stroke count of the first character
instead of first character, for example.