Re: Launch some command and leave the console, the command still being executed

Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:45 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to launch some command in the console, and to be
>> able to close the terminal, the command being still evaluated, i.e. if I
>> launch gedit (I'm under GNOME), and that I close the console, gedit
>> closes too. (This is also the case with `gedit &', which is not
>> astonishing.)
>>

> I would suggest using "screen" [1] for that, but that might be overkill
> and you are just looking for "nohup".
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/screen

Thanks for both pointers. I had forgotten about screen. `nohup' seems to
be better in my case, even if disown seems to to do the trick perfectly.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of
enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)