Aargh! I hate the fglrx driver!

I upgraded my machine at work today, and among other things that were installed, aptitude upgraded the kernel (linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64) as well as the fglrx packages. I had the 9-11 held, but aptitude upgraded it anyway. And with the combination of packages, I was no longer able to roll back to 9-11...

The reason I had it held in the first place was that any with any of the later drivers I was not able to get compiz working again. With the newer drivers (including 10-4), my kde panel and terminal windows are solid white, sort of a mini-white screen of death.

I have been fiddling with it (this time) for about the last 3 hours, and can't get it to work. I looked online, but didn't see the level of uproar that I would have thought  if it were a common problem. Therefore, I am thinking that it is a configuration issue on this machine.

I did an m-a a-i fglrx, and the driver built, but as I said, compiz white screens. KDE 4.4.3's compositing seems to work fine, but it doesn't have all the features I need. (Group and tab comes to mind).

Anyone have any idea why  compiz won't work with newer fglrx drivers?

--b