Re (4): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

Date:	Wed, 12 May 2010 11:05:21 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway...> wrote,
> Your kernel installation environment is not configured correctly for
> use with lilo.  That's why you are having trouble upgrading to
> a newer kernel.  Assuming that you are using only stock kernel images,
> here is what you should do:

The instructions are like clockwork.  Thanks!
Incorporation in the lilo package would be good.

> I don't know if the new kernel will fix the X problem ...

Unfortunately X remains broken with an error
about /dev/fb0.

The log is here in case anyone is interested.
    http://carnot.yi.org/dalton.Xorg.0.log
With minimal understanding, I noticed these lines.

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.7.6.901, module version = 0.0.2
	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

I've tried various ideas found with Google.
Remove the intel driver and leave the vesa
driver installed for example.

Is fb a standalone driver?  Is it an accessory
to the vesa driver?

Thanks for any ideas,          ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc http://carnot.yi.org/.