Re: pinning + apt-get vs aptitude

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:32:36AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
> but when I do 'aptitude full-upgrade' I see:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> ... grub-legacy{a} ...
>
> and

> ... grub-pc{a} ...
>
> So why does aptitude pay no attention to my pin?

  Pinning tells aptitude which version of a package to pick.  It
doesn't tell it to avoid removing the package from the system, or to
guess that you don't want other packages on the system.

  It looks to me like something else required grub-pc, and that in
turn forced grub-legacy to be removed.  You could try pinning grub-pc
at a very low priority to see whether that helps, although without
knowing what's causing grub-pc to get pulled in, it's hard to say
whether that will really do the trick.

  Daniel