More important question... (was Re: How to keep debian current??)

Since your Internet connection is spotty and you want to stay relatively up-to-date and you're new, why not stay with Ubuntu (or Sidux, for that matter)?

I used Mandrake for a year or so, then Libranet (spiritual predecessor to Ubuntu) before making the Debian plunge. It greatly helped to get me acclimated to the "hard-core".