Re: monitoring internet availability and sending sms alert?

Adam Hardy on 14/05/10 14:13, wrote:
Ron Johnson on 14/05/10 12:54, wrote:
On 05/14/2010 06:32 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
Merciadri Luca on 14/05/10 11:31, wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/13/2010 06:28 PM, Adam Hardy wrote:
I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):

I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I really need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can get its
datafeeds.

I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home machine
regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or die
completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.

Is there something like this already in existence?

smsclient, ping and bash should do the trick...

Might not be too hard to implement, as explained by Ron.

I shall look into these options. I'll obviously have to open up the ping
port on my firewall.

Outgoing ports are randomly assigned, though, aren't they?

Sure. I mean on the box at home that I'm monitoring from the online server. Aaaah, just realised I don't have a fixed IP ?$*!(*)"*"!!!

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise that I would rather have some kind of full blooded monitoring app which lets me see stats (or even charts like ntop) of internet speed over the week, although I bet that is just dreaming.

I read one thread somewhere out there about apps like cacti, zenoss and groundwork - if you know anything about such packages, then you know more about them than me: is this kind of package remotely suitable or am I barking up the wrong tree?