Re: monitoring internet availability and sending sms alert?

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:28:54AM +0100, Adam Hardy uttered:
> I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
> because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
> I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):
>
> I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I
> really need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can
> get its datafeeds.
>
> I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home
> machine regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or
> die completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.
>
> Is there something like this already in existence?

Not sure as I'm going from memory. Webmin had/has a heartbeat monitor
plug-in and if memory serves it had a way to notify a phone number,
e-mail address etc. I assume it's not that important to be SMS
necessarily?

Webmin AFAIK is not in Debian anymore; but you can get it upstream or
perhaps look at the heartbeat application in Debian to see what it has
for remote notification.

HTH