Re: Email Errors from Spammers

On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:33:54 +0300, David Baron wrote:

> Recently, I have been getting a load of errors from fetchmail of the
> form: May 13 19:01:15 ... fetchmail[6102]: SMTP error: 501
> <fedexcouriercompany111.yahoo.com@[98.110.119.254]>: domain literals not
> allowed.
> This email is spam.

(...)

> To keep chasing these down and attempting to blacklist up front if this
> can be done would be a lot of bother. Any other ideas? (Or simply let
> the logs fill up with this harmless junk and save spamassassin the
> bother :-) ??)

Look at this:

***
Spam Filtering
http://fetchmail.berlios.de/fetchmail-man.html#29
***

Maybe you could setup the "antispam" variable to treat these error codes
as "spam" and such messages will be rejected/deleted directly by
Fetchmail, which I find a bit "risky" approach.

Or you can just ignore them and let SA doing its job :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón