Re: Trying to get a kernel patch included in Squeeze

On Thu,13.May.10, 11:19:09, deloptes wrote:

> I don't understand. you are compiling the kernel anyway. why not compile the
> latest stable?

I guess it was not very obvious from my first message. My goal is to fix
this issue for Squeeze, not for me, but for other users potentially
affected by this bug. It won't affect me as I only use unstable on this
machine. But in order to help fix it I need to:

1. backport the patch for 2.6.32
2. recompile a standard Debian kernel with the patch included (for
testing purposes)
3. report a bug with the backported patch included asking for inclusion
in the default squeeze kernel

Unfortunately I lack the skills for 1. and I was asking for comments on
whether it is too complicated to pursue:

- if it's trivial I could just go to 3., offer my help for 2. and hope
  the kernel team has enough time to do 1.
- if it's doable I could ask on alsa-user or alsa-devel, hoping to find
  a kind soul to help
- if it's too complicated I can just drop it since the issue would be
  solvable in squeeze by installing a newer kernel from backports (not
  ideal)

Hope this explains,
Andrei