Re: libc6 upgrade lenny to squeeze failed, now dpkg is broken

On 2010-05-12 23:24 +0200, Chris Austin wrote:

>> On 2010-05-11 22:11 +0200, Chris Austin wrote:
>
>>> I was required to upgrade libc6 from lenny to squeeze in order to meet
>>> dependencies to install a package from unstable, but the libc6 upgrade
>>> failed because libc-bin was not installed.
>
>> How could this happen, given that libc6 depends on libc-bin?
>
> I was using KPackage, which I thought is a package manager like aptitude or
> synaptic.

You should probably learn some other tool, because kpackage is not
maintained anymore and has been removed from sid.

> I guess the answer to this is that for system-critical packages, one should
> first do a "dry run" in KPackage, by clicking the "Test (do not install)"
> checkbox.  But it would be really helpful if there was a list somewhere of
> the system-critical packages for which one needs to do this, to save having
> to do a dry run for every new package.

The right way to do this is to use apt pinning which is much less
error-prone than downloading and installing selected packages by hand.

> I have been referring to this old list while doing Lenny to Squeeze upgrades
> today.  It would be really helpful if there were lists like this for Lenny and
> Squeeze somewhere on debian.org.  Besides, it's nice to know what the Essential
> and Required packages are!

You can get the list with aptitude:

aptitude search "~E ~Asqueeze"
aptitude search "~prequired ~Asqueeze"

lists all Essential and Required packages in squeeze.  Of course this
requires an entry for squeeze in your sources.list which brings us back
to apt pinning.

> I've learned today that when there are circular conflicts while upgrading, e.g.
> libcairo2 has to be upgraded to install xulrunner-1.9.1, but upgrading
> libcairo2 breaks xulrunner-1.9, it helps to use the dpkg --auto-deconfigure
> option before the -i action-parameter, e.g.
>
> dpkg --auto-deconfigure -i libcairo2_1.8.10-4_i386.deb
>
> Then dpkg gives a nice message about considering deconfiguration of
> xulrunner-1.9, then decides to do it, and it works, or at least, it has done,
> the two or three times I have tried it today.

This is indeed a nice trick to know, but apt would do this for you
automatically.

Sven