Re: Replace hardware without reinstall debian lenny

On 5/10/2010 11:37 AM, Vincze Janos Istvan wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> My debian server will soon get a complete new hardware (motherboard,
> cpu, memory, stb.).
> Have anybody a good idea how to replace the old computer without
> reinstall the whole system?
>
> I have installed and configured:
> - The most important is ASTERISK PBX
> - Apache2 web server
> - Samba
> - Postfix & Dovecot
> - ProFTP
> - etc.
>
> I do not want to reinstall everything.
>
> Current debian installation:
> - Debian lenny 5.0.4
> - Kernel: 2.6.26-2-686
>
> thank you very much in advance,
>
> Vinyo

Having recently ported a machine (placing drives into new physical
hardware), this process was very simple and painless. You really have
two primary concerns here.

1) Does the currently running kernel support the hardware you are moving
the drive(s) to? If so then its a matter of ensuring the hard drives are
attached and presented by the BIOS in the correct order (/dev/sdX
mappings). As long as this is the same, the system will boot. Changes on
your end, should the drive mappings change, would be to modify
/etc/fstab and grub's menu.lst (assuming you're using grub in the first
place).

2) If you're changing NIC's (even if they are the same model) the MAC
address mapping that ties an interface to an ethX device will change
because of udev. This can be alleviated by removing the udev rule in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Just remove the line for the
old/existing NIC(s) and udev will create new rules upon detecting a
network device with a new MAC address. Also be sure to modify your
network settings in /etc/network/interfaces if any changes need to be
made there.

--
	 Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[