Re: Resources for learning Linux

On Sat, 08 May 2010 08:54:29 -0400 (EDT), Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:37:53 -0400 (EDT) Stephen Powell wrote:
>> My favorite free on-line reference for general Linux knowledge is
>> currently the original edition of "The Linux Cookbook", by Michael
>> Stutz.  Here is the link:
>>
>>    http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_toc.html
>>
>> There is a greatly expanded second edition of the book, which is more
>> comprehensive, but it is not free.  You have to pay for it.
>> Others, I'm sure, will have other ideas.
>
> Yes, Michael Stutz book is good, both in content and style.  Also,
> there is the Linux Documentation Project, with many learning
> resources: http://tldp.org/

Yes, the Linux Documentation project is good too.  I go there mainly
for the HOWTOs if I want to research a specific subject.  But for
how to perform typical daily computing tasks using Linux, The Linux
Cookbook is the best that I have found.

"Oh, you want to do that?  Here, type this ..."

That's the kind of everyday usage question that the Linux Cookbook was
designed to solve.  And the second edition is even better.
Unfortunately, it's not available online.  But I liked the original
so well that I bought a hard copy of the second edition.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :