Re: Is Firefox/Iceweasel leaking?

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:58, Merciadri Luca
<Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed on many computers with Debian, whatever the kernel (2.6.xx, xx
>>= 26), that, once ``too much'' tabs have been opened, Firefox/Iceweasel
> becomes sluggish, slower and slower, and often stalls after some time. I
> also noticed that, when becoming more and more sluggish, it takes more
> and more RAM, even when all the pages are completely loaded. Why? Am I
> the only person who's experiencing this? Is there an objective
> explanation to this?

I dunno. I myself have never had serious memory problems with Mozilla
or Firefox. In old versions of Mozilla (~0.9-1.7) and FF 1 and 2 there where
definite limits to how many tabs I could open without crashing. With current
versions, though, I can run over a hundred tabs with no problem. I am
currently at ~1,250MB resident for SeaMonkey, but this doesn't seem
unreasonable for how many tabs there are. It certainly doesn't grow over
time (this instance has probably been running for 3 days or more), only
with new tabs, or larger pages loaded into tabs.

So many people report these problems, and they are clearly real, but I
wonder why I have never had them, with different hardware (AMD and
Intel), and different OSs (2K, XP, 7, and several version of Debian).

Sorry, no real help, just my experiences.

* note: I use the nightlies from Mozilla, rather than Iceweasel/Iceape.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers