Re: FW: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

> These days, the init.d script dependencies in Squeeze are quite
> complete, so complete that it is actually possible to run all the
> init.d scripts in parallell based on these dependencies.  If you want
> to test your Squeeze system, make sure dependency based boot
> sequencing is enabled, and add this line to /etc/default/rcS:
>
> CONCURRENCY=makefile
>
> That is it.  It will cause sysv-rc to use the startpar tool to run
> scripts in parallel using the dependency information stored in
> /etc/init.d/.depend.boot, /etc/init.d/.depend.start and
> /etc/init.d/.depend.stop to order the scripts.  Startpar is configured
> to try to start the kdm and gdm scripts as early as possible, and will
> start the facilities required by kdm or gdm as early as possible to
> make this happen.
>
> Give it a try, and see if you like the result.  If some services fail
> to start properly, it is most likely because they have incomplete
> init.d script dependencies in their startup script (or some of their
> dependent scripts have incomplete dependencies).  Report bugs and get
> the package maintainers to fix it. :)

Well, I did that and restarted system. I didn't notice any errors, and
system doesn't boot faster or slower than usual. Don't know is it good
or bad news, though…

But you should know that I don't have any DMs installed — I prefer
simple login in terminal and then run startx (if needed). Also I don't
have any heavy services installed — it's netbook and I want it to be
as fast as possible.

With best regards,
Alexander Batischev