Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

Le Sun, 2 May 2010 12:17:54 -0700,
Peter Tenenbaum <quarkpt@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
> Debian linux on it when / if I do.  I'd also like to get one which
> uses an AMD64-class processor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
> The Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware
> (ie, fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive /
> negative experience installing Debian on this computer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -PT

Hi Peter,

No personal experience with the Gateway LT21 but last month I bought
a Dell New Mini 10 (Inspiron 1012 (1012_9118)) which has an Intel atom
N450 (64 bits dual core 1.66GHz, integrated GMA3150 graphics card in the
chip). I think Debian Testing and Unstable are not presently up-to-date
enough to run on this hardware (mostly due to
xserver-xorg-video-intel). I installed both Archlinux and Debian
Testing on it. Under Archlinux all works (X11, HD video, wifi, webcam,
integrated DVB-T) excepted resume after hibernation which blanks the
screen (this works perfectly under Debian Testing).
This small beast is sufficiently powerfull for my usage. Roughly, 2x3300
BogoMIPS compared to the 3500 BogoMIPS my 15" Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop
bought in spring 2006 (Celeron M 1.6GHz).
Unfortunately, the 1366x768 screen is glossy and I find the touchpad
lousy.

My two cents.