Re: 64-bit netbooks with Debian linux

On 5/2/2010 2:17 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a netbook and I'd like to install
Debian linux on it when / if I do.  I'd also like to get one which uses
an AMD64-class processor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The
Gateway LT21 looks like just what I want in terms of hardware (ie,
fairly low-end but 64-bit); has anyone got any positive / negative
experience installing Debian on this computer?

Thanks in advance,
-PT

I have not installed Debian on this *particular* machine, but I have had some experience in general.

Netbooks are underpowered. Get a *real* notebook/laptop. You can get a much better computer for about the same money. The only advantage I can see in a netbook is battery life. I speak from experience.

I have briefly had Linux installed on an Eee PC. It performs better in some ways, but I saw no real advantage other than the usual advantages that Linux has over Win/Mac.

At the time, I struggled with drivers. That situation has probably improved.

My Eee PC's Atom CPU is single-core, 32-bit. This is appropriate because the machine cannot support more than 2GB of RAM anyway, and it is never used for anything except "net" things: web+email.

64-bit is overkill for a netbook. If you get a "real" machine, 64-bit might be useful. But for netbook-class machines, save your money.

MAA