Re: Broken dependencies

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 17:20:56 +0200, Alois Mahdal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> because a stupid mistake, I have interrupted apt-get during early
> stage of dist-upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze.
>
> Now I cannot get apt-get working and I don't know how to fix it.
>
> Could anyone of you please help me? I'll be also happy with advice
> on how to get proper debug info for you, of course.
>
> $ apt-get -fyo Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes upgrade

[...]

> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> 	LANGUAGE = (unset),
> 	LC_ALL = (unset),
> 	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
> Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar
> chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 744 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin
> and /sbin.

Both "locale" and "ldconfig" were shifted from libc6 to libc-bin going
from Lenny and Squeeze; my guess would be that you upgraded to the
Squeeze version of libc6, but you did not yet complete the installation
of libc-bin, so now these important commands (and others) are missing on
your system. (The libc-bin package does not exist for Lenny.)

If dpkg still works then you can try to download libc-bin for your
architecture from http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libc-bin and
install the .deb with "dpkg -i ...", see here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_rescue_with_the_dpkg_command

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |