Re: Can't play 24bit/96kHz flac files

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 16:12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 May 2010 12:13:29 +0200, James Stuckey wrote:
>
>> If I try to play them in MOC I get: (0) Can't set audio parameters:
>> Invalid argument
>>
>> With mplayer I see:
>
> (...)
>
>> Running file on the file gives:
>> flac: FLAC audio bitstream data, 24 bit, 6 channels, 96 kHz, 54720000
>> samples
>>
>> This only happens with this file. The file plays on other systems
>> (windows).
>
> Have you tried to play it with another media players (VideoLan,
> Rhythmbox, Totem...)?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>

> --

* Native capability of sound card can be found from
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

* Decoding is done by the player itself, most probably the decoder
output format in your case would be 96khz, 24 bit little endian.  If
the native rate of your card is only 44100Hz/48000Hz, it can not
support this.

* In order to play this format this has to be downsampled.  The
downsamping could be done either by 1) the player itself, but it
completely depends upon the features and capabilities of the player or
2)by the (alsa) driver.

So these are your options.
* Try out different players as Camaleón suggested.

* Many players allow you to specify the output audio device.
Try "plughw:0,0" instead of the default one.  This is a special device
given by alsa to do audio processing.