sh command issue

I'm helping a fella in the UK with a debian build (tiny web) on a small VM
machine in a data center.  I am trying to compile some c++ code, I have the
libs and binaries installed and the compile "works", except for this line...

I have a php file used to make the build, and the file contains these
lines..

	system("g++ $files $incl $libs >& build.log");
#	system("g++ $files $incl $libs");

The first line fails with an error "sh: Syntax error: Bad fd number".

If I comment out the first line, and uncomment the second line, I do get my
"a.out" file but the errors/warnings go to the screen...  how can I make
them go to the 'build.log' file?

I have done full package updates on the system using Webmin, and everything
as of this morning is current.

Thanks kindly for any assistance you can provide. :)

Gary