Re: [OT] Home UPS (was Filesystem recommendations)

owens@netptc.net put forth on 4/29/2010 2:26 PM:

> Also I might have an issue with Stan's use of AND.  While surge
> protection of printers is a good idea, most UPS vendors advise
> against connecting the printer to the UPS for power protection
> Larry

Most inkjets on a UPS are fine (for small jobs), lasers no--too much current
draw heating up the fuser.  I've never printed during a power outage but I
could if I really needed to.  The odds of that are terribly low though.

Them main reason for plugging all my equipment into the UPS is that the MOVs
in UPSes are usually much larger and of better quality than those found in
surge protector power strips.  For those who do not know, an MOV or metal
oxide varistor, is the device that sucks up the excess voltage and current
that frequently enters lines during a lighting strike.

--
Stan