Re: VM software for personal use?

On 4/26/2010 5:24 PM, Clive McBarton wrote:

Mark Allums wrote:
Some people are scared of shared folders as possible attack vectors, thus security risks.

What exactly are those risks?

(For me, personally, it's theoretical, as I only am repeating things I have picked up. It may be out of date, now, but if I had to guess, the level of threat has only grown.)

It depends on the mechanism used to share the folders. If if is through a network interface, then the risks are similar to the risks on any trusted intranet.

If the folders are provided by the VM internals, then the risk is what you can lose by a successful attack on the guest kernel or the host VM. If the host VM is kernel-based, then the risk is that of a (host) kernel attack.

Note: I'm using "risk" as in "what can you lose?" If you mean attack vectors, then those should be evident; again, I am not a security reseacher. Google Joanna Rutkowska. She probably knows as much as anyone about breaking out of a VM to attack the host.

I'm sure others on this list know more than I do about it.

MAA