Re: Installer partitioner project, dif Debian Ubuntu, lvm, UUID, GPartEd, GRUB, HAL

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 15:32:28 giovanni_re wrote:
> I'd appreciate an answer on these questions from any knowledgeable
> person, & especially would really like to hear from the maintainer of
> the partioner on the alternate installer - please tell me if that is
> you, thanks. :)

I'm just a user.  Gentoo from 2004, then I switched to Etch and now I run a
mixed Lenny/lenny-backports/testing/Sid/experimental mixed desktop, 2 Lenny
VPSes, a Hardy/Jaunty mixed VPS, and an openSUSE 11.2 laptop, which I'm trying
to migrate to Lenny/lenny-backports/testing/Sid/experimental on btrfs.

I do write software for a living, but I am not a Debian Developer, Debian
Maintainer, Ubuntu Developer, or Ubuntu Master of the Universe.  My latest
contributions are to OpenEMR.

> IIRC, Ubuntu began doing stuff differently than Debian, like with UUIDs,
> & now, from the release notes on Ub 10.4, they say they are now removing
> their addition of HAL (UUIDs?) in order to enable faster bootup.
> "This release fully removes HAL from the boot process, making Ubuntu
> faster to boot and faster to resume from suspend."
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004overview

Ubuntu pulls some from Debian unstable/Sid.  However, the availability of
UUIDs and the use of Hal came from upstream (linux-utils and xserver-xorg
respectively).

> Did ubuntu do something unwise with making use of UUIDs, & now they are
> backtracking?  Did Debian do any of that?

The Lenny installer defaults to populating /etc/fstab with UUIDs, IIRC.  The
Etch installer still just used device names.  UUIDs aren't directly related to
HAL, although HAL can make use of them.

> What sw is the partitioner in the alternate installer? parted? fdisk?
> other????

Other; It's a d-i module.  I don't know what "backend" it uses.

> GPartEd (0.4.3) from 9.04, fully apt updated, (& the "help" doesn't
> exist), on an install on a different machine, where I put a data
> partition in the extended partition, for info about the "lvm2"
> "filesystem" there, says "Warning: Logical Volume Management is not yet
> supported".  Has that been fixed yet?  What's the state of LVM in
> current Debian & Ubuntu?

GPartEd does not handle LVM currently, but I wouldn't really expect it to.
It's a partition editor, not an integrated block layer management system.
Still, I'd check with upstream to see when/if they plan to have GPartEd handle
LVM.

The EVMS tools handled LVM, MD, partitions, etc. all through a single
interface last time I checked.  I didn't really like them though; I just use
mdadm and the LVM command-line tools.

> ==
> What new things Ubuntu is doing, wrt these issues, is being put into
> Debian?  Is debian usin HAL, UUIDs, LVM, GFUB2, etc??

Xorg was Depending on hal for a while there.  Hal is not installed as part of
the base Debian system.  UUIDs are supported by linux-utils and udev in Lenny
and forward.  LVM has been supported at least Etch and forward, when the
installer got support for it.  GRUB2 is available in Lenny, and will be the
default "grub" in Squeeze.  It is likely that GRUB1 will still be available in
Squeeze but not beyond; upstream for GRUB1 has closed shop and GRUB2 is
quickly handling all the tasks GRUB1 could plus some.