Re: Filesystem recommendations

On Monday 26 April 2010 16:48:09 B. Alexander wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <
> bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 26 April 2010 16:05:31 B. Alexander wrote:
> > >
> > > You know, I said the same thing, but then as the kernel and GRUB and
> > > the like advanced, I noticed that my reiserfs partitions would have to
> > > replay the journal every time I rebooted, even after a clean shutdown.
> >
> > That doesn't seem right.  I have been using reiser3 since 2005, and my
> > system
> > does not require a journal replay if I do a clean shutdown/reboot.  A
> > forced
> > reboot through Alt+SysRq+B does trigger a journal replay (as it should).
>
> No, this is a result of sync;sync;shutdown -r now.

Well, WFM.

Do you have a log of the shutdown messages that appear on the console?  They
might tell us why your filesystem is not getting cleanly re-mounted read-only.

> > I also have 4+ tebibytes but most of them are allocated to filesystems.
> >  I've
> > had to shrink filesystems dozens of times since 2005, during or after a
> > data
> > move.
>
> I've had to extend on the fly many more times than I have had to reduce.

Yes.  Many, many more times.  A filesystem that can't grow is beyond useless
for me.  Luckily btrfs support growing and shrinking and it can do both while
mounted.  On-line shrinking is a trick I couldn't get reiser3 to perform.

> >  I'm hoping to be able to move that onto LVM once I move to
> > GRUB2 and GPT.
>
> You know, /boot on bare drive has never bothered me, especially since I use
> encrypted filesystems on everything but VMs. On laptops, I had it set up so
> /boot lived on a thumb drive...So I'm cool with it.

Well, I will still have to have a "partition" for GRUB to embed stage 1.5 if I
go with GPT.  However, it won't contain files per se.  I like having as much
as possible on LVM because it makes it easier to migrate to new storage media
and retire the old media.