Re: Resources for learning Linux

James Stuckey wrote:
Hello,

I've been using linux (debian) for about a year now, and although I'm no longer scared of the command line I would like to do a little reading/studying of linux to get a better understanding of some of the more advanced topics, or to see if I have learned a lot of the things that might be taught in a university-linux/UNIX course. I'm sure that there is a lot of stuff that I've missed by just going at it with trial and error. Perhaps there are some online courses posted to youtube, or a few books that someone might like to recommend? I would be interested to know what types of things one must learn to get "linux-certification" (I presume there is such a thing).
Not Debian-specific, but I learned a lot by building "linux from scratch" - http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ - it takes you step-by-step in building a Linux system from source code. You learn a LOT in the process. The basic version takes you through a fairly minimal system. There's also a "Beyond Linux from Scratch" linked to from the site, that takes you further.

Miles Fidelman