Re: Filesystem recommendations

Mike Castle put forth on 4/25/2010 10:29 AM:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM, B. Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have suggestions and practical experience with the pros and cons
>> of the various filesystems?
>
> Google is switching (has switched by now?) all of it's servers over to
> ext4.  A web search will turn up more details on the subject.  But
> they are mostly lots of big files.

If it weren't for the live migration requirement, I read this to say that
Google would be using XFS due to its superior performance:

"In a mailing list post, Google engineer Michael Rubin provided more insight
into the decision-making process that led the company to adopt Ext4. The
filesystem offered significant performance advantages over Ext2 _and nearly
rivaled the high-performance XFS filesystem_ during the company's tests.
Ext4 was ultimately chosen over XFS because it would allow Google to do a
live in-place upgrade of its existing Ext2 filesystems."

--
Stan