Re: VM software for personal use?

Mark Allums wrote:
On 4/23/2010 11:31 AM, Richard Lawrence wrote:
Hi all,

P.S.  Apologies if this question seems too far off-topic for
debian-user.  If there's a better place to ask this question, I'd like
to know that, too.

Virtualbox meets more of your individual criteria than anything else I can think of, but the open source edition lacks USB. I would consider the non-OSE version for now, but only if I were prepared to migrate to something else, later, depending on what Oracle may choose to to with it, now that they own Sun.

Some version of QEMU with KVM will always work, but you definitely need the KVM bits, because by itself QEMU is not a speed demon.

I enjoy Xen-like hypervisors from an aesthetics point-of-view, but the best ones are not free in any sense. Microsoft's Hyper-V flat-out costs money, and VMware's ESXi comes with too much baggage. Xen itself is still in a state of flux, and though the 2.6.32 kernel version is much more stable than previous versions, I wouldn't call it ready for prime time.

And I am getting tired of always having to look around for fixes to VMware's server whenever you upgrade your kernel, it appears their Linux attention leaves something to be desired.

Hugo