Re: Not able to change password with passwd

Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd <at> lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> Samba shouldn't do that. Strange indeed, but good to hear it's solved now.

I got a mail from Grant, who found this thread by searching the web. He had the
same problem, and thinks he found the reason for the issue.

As for his request, I forward his mail to this list.

regards,
Florian

Hi. I saw your email on the Debian list. I just had the *exact* same issue --
log messages and all -- on two clean installs from freshly downloaded netinst
iso files. I'm not on the debian list myself, but thought I might ask you to
pass along what I found to fix the issue, and the root cause -- since it
obviously hasn't been addressed in the "Squeeze" testing nightlies yet. Am I the
only one in the world installing shell-only debian boxes in 2010?  :)

Thanks in advance for the assistance in passing this along.

Cheers,
-Grant

Issue ----

Log messages:

> > Mar 22 13:24:48 fp passwd[2001]: pam_winbind(passwd:chauthtok): valid_user:
> > wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

Cause:

winbind. The winbind dpkg is configured when you select yes for DHCP integration
with WINS servers during install. That dpkg-config adds the pam_winbind module
to /etc/pam.d/common-password. On clean install, this can even cause passwd not
to be able to set the root pass.. locking you out of your finished debian
install on first boot. Booting in single user to change the password doesn't
help, passwd fails on execution and writes this line on stderr.

passwd: System Error

Solution: Boot single user. Comment out the line in /etc/pam.d/common-password
which loads pam_winbind.so. Run passwd again to set your root password, or to
set the password of any user. Reboot, shell logins and the passwd command will
work again.