RFH: slow awk scripts wanted

Hi,

I am new to awk but quite like it, and I am considering working on
some changes to mawk that would have an impact on performance.

Problem: generally awk is already more than fast enough for me.  So
chances are, this would end up ruining it for everyone else!  Unless
you help.

If you have

 - a (fast or slow) awk script you use regularly on large sets of data

 - a scripts you wrote naïvely and then had to revise to make perform
   acceptably (the before and after would be great)

 - an awk script you use very often

 - a shell script in which awk is run in the inner loop

 - a long stream of data you regularly use awk to digest

then I would like to know about it so I can run some tests.  In other
words, I am looking for performance bugs and performance success
reports.

As active Debian users, you are the target audience.  Dedicated awk
users in awk-specific forums might have adapted their behavior to
existing implementations, producing skewed results; plus, their
scripts are already nicely archived.

Please respond privately and I will send a summary in a week or so.
If your script is of general interest, I encourage you to contribute
to a relevant thread on comp.lang.awk or a site like awk.info and
point me there instead.

If you think I’m crazy, feel free to let me know that, too.

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Jonathan