Re: Epiphany browser continues to get worse and worse

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:25:02 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-19 19:53, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Maybe I'm slow, Ron, but I don't follow you.  The above link appears to
>> give the origins of webkit, but I didn't see anything there about why
>> epiphany-browser decided to switch from gecko, which was working well,
>> to webkit, which has apparently caused a lot of problems.
>
> Apple's reason:
>      "allowed easier development than other technologies by virtue
>      of being small (fewer than 140,000 lines of code), cleanly
>      designed and standards compliant."
>
> I'm betting they though to themselves, "If it's good enough for
> Apple, it's good enough for us..."
>
> As for problems in Webkit, I'd say that *one* of the reasons why
> gecko is so bloated is all of the edge cases and idiosyncrasies of
> html, js, flash, etc, etc that have built up in the code over the years.

Hmm.  Well, if they were going to design a brand new browser from scratch
today, you make a good case for webkit.  But they already had a browser
that was working well with gecko.  Why switch now?  It's a lot of pain
for very little gain, it seems to me.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :