Re: USB device attached via RS232 adaptor

>> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know.
>
> Because the device may expect a USB host controller instead a RS-232 :-?

Likely!

>> I am going over there to help
>> him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today. Although the
>> USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing about how to
>> mount devices attached to them.
>
> What seems to be more popular are RS-232 devices (modems, printers...)
> connected/attached to a computer USB host port, but not the opposite.

I have seen that, but as you say I have never seen it the way that he
describes using it now (backwards).

>> I am assuming that, being a card reader,
>> I will be able to mount the media (card).
>
> Mmm, have you tested it? :-?
>
> Insert a smartcard and check the output of "dmesg" and "mount" commands.
> They will tell.

I will get there later today. But I want to go prepared, which is why
I googled and asked here.

Maybe, as Ron mentioned, the "virtualCOM port" is confusing him.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.