Re: recent mobo recommendation

On 2010-04-18 15:10, Clive McBarton wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:
ATX means you'll get lots of built-in features.  I like my Gigabyte
GA-MA780G-UD3H mobo with AM2+/AM2 socket.

8GM RAM, 6 SATA, 1 (or 2, I forget) rear eSATA, lots of USB, a front and
rear Firewire and decent on-board audio.  On-board ATI video with
separate video RAM, but I installed a fanless NVIDIA card because the
driver situation is *simple*, and it's fast.

That's good to hear, and it makes me curious. Does the "simple" refer to
the open-source or the closed-source NVIDIA driver?

Yes. There's only two (although there are multiple versions of the binary driver).

ATI has r128, radeon, radeonhd, fglrx and catalyst.

                       And is it general
consensus that NVIDIA is easier to deal with than ATI?

I think so...

                                                        After all, you
installed a card after you already had on-board graphics.

Also, I vagely recall having heard that a 64bit-OS might be trickier to
deal with when it comes to graphics drivers.

Maybe with ATI cards, but not Nvidia. Both the nv and nvidia drivers come in 32 and 64 bit versions.

                                             Is that true? Here I see 8
Gig of RAM, hence presumably a 64bit system.

The beauty of modern 64-bit archs is that you can have a 32-bit distro with a 64-bit kernel.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?