Re: debian on a raid5 (4TB) issues

Hi

just picked up a 51645 adaptec - having some problems with the gui can't login and if I try and boot of the adaptec lun it crashed grub - magic failed.

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 07:57:51 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 4/17/2010 3:12 AM:

>>> Adaptec AAC-RAID card inside a supermicro server.
>
> Which Apaptec model, specifically?  Some of the Adaptec SATA cards are
> fakeraid.  I want to know if your card is fakeraid or real RAID.  That
> may have bearing on this issue.

Being a Supermicro server, I doubt it's a "fakeraid" card O:-)

OTOH, a fakeraid won't see a big disk of 4 TiB, it would detect/treat
each drive separately.

>> I wish you the best (similar setup here and bad experience with adaptec
>> raid cards) :-(
>>
>> As per the 4 TiB issue. I just have reviewed the wikipedia article
>> about MBR and forgot the limit of 2 TiB for a "bootable" partition.
>
> I've never run into these issues because I intentionally avoid them.  I
> always create a small /boot of about 100MB at the start of the disk and
> stick the bootloader in the MBR.  Every BIOS can handle bootstrapping
> such a setup.

Yes, that tends to be the better approach. Either "ext2" or "ext3" are
the recommended filesystems for GRUB.

> I thought the OP originally said he has a separate small /boot, so I'm
> still not sure what his exact issue is.  Thus what I'm trying to nail
> down exactly which Adaptec HBA he's got.

Ah, you're right. Then that shouldn't be the problem.

I would try, at first place, to make the required partitions from a
Gparted LiveCD (System Rescue or similar) before installing the system to
see if that helps the installer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón