GNOME crashes when .xsession file is present.

If I create an empty (0 length) .xsession or an .xsession file
containing one line, say, echo hello, world, I get this error when I
try to log into GNOME.

Your session lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out
yourself this could mean there is some installation problem or that you
may be out of disk space. Try logging in with one of the failsafe
sessions to see if you can fix the problem.

There aren't any errors in .xsession-errors when I try to log in with
the 0 length .xsession file. In case of the .xsession file with echo
hello, world, I see just 'hello, world' in the .xsession-errors file.

Why does this happen?